Hon. Martin Hector

Hon. Martin Hector, one of Fargo's most popular and influential business men, is now president of the Fargo National Bank, which, while not one of the oldest banking houses of the state, is considered one of its most substantial. It was organized in 1897, and its deposits have rapidly increased until today they average with any bank in the state. On its organization Mr. Hector was chosen president, U. J. DeLendrecies, vice-president and W. C. McFadden, cashier. Its board of directors is composed of the above named gentleman, together with Seth Wright and George E. Nichols. All are well-known citizens of North Dakota and are numbered among Fargo's most prosperous and reliable business men. They do a general banking business and issue foreign and domestic exchange.

Mr. Hector, the able president of this financial institution, has been a resident of Fargo since 1872. He came to the Northwest a poor boy without other resources than good health and a determination to succeed, and has worked his way upward in the commercial world until today he stands in the front rank of the successful business men of this section, having become one of the wealthiest men of North Dakota. He is also prominent in public affairs and has filled a number of positions of honor and trust since corning, to this state. He was president of the city council for several years, and has done much to bring about the substantial improvements in which Fargo takes a great pride. He has never sought political preferment or public honors, but holds a high position in social and business circles. In 1893 he was selected as a member of the board of commissioners from North Dakota to the World's Fair, and was elected president of that body. While devoting a great deal of time and money to that work (probably equivalent to $1,000), he refused to accept from the state any pay for his services. He is always willing to support any movement calculated to prove of public benefit and the community is fortunate that number him among its citizens.

Source: Compendium and History of North Dakota 1900 Page 197

News & Events