Cooperstown Airport

The city council of Cooperstown purchased a quarter Section of land south of town in May of 1946 for airport purposes.  Two hangers were constructed by a group of aviation enthusiasts.  They were to house the planes owned by Lorents Lima, and the other jointly by Robert W. Baker, C.H. Pramhus, Ingram Walen, and Melvin Nelson.  Two runways were bladed, an east-west runway extended nearly across the quarter Section, and a north-west south-east, which provided good ground for landing and take off.  Another plane was then purchased for flying instruction and taxi service.

In March of 1947 Skyways, Inc. was formed to conduct a flying school at the local airport and to promote aviation in the locality.  Incorporators of the organization formed were, Robert W. Baker, Melvin H. Nelson, A.C. Seebart, and Lorents Lima.  By May of 1947 the runways were completed and the former Otteson blacksmith shop building was purchased and moved to the field to be used for a hangar, shop, and office.

The Cooperstown Airport Authority was organized in 1966.  It consisted of two city council members, Leon Sayer, and Ralph Bender, and three appointed members, Robert Baker, Lorents Lima, and Al Thompson, to oversee the upkeep and management of the municipal airport.  In 1967 a hardtop runway was built with local funds, the next year, 1968, runway lights were installed to aid in night flying.  The runways were lengthened and made wider with the help of federal and state funds.  In 1979 a pilot€™s lounge was built for transit and local pilots, with rest rooms and telephone for their use.  There are now several larger buildings on the airport to hangar about 14 planes.

Cooperstown had one of the most active Civil Air Patrol squadrons in the state for about 25 years, until it disbanded.  The airport today gives service to a large area in crop spraying, charter service, plane rentals and airplane repair service.  Those followers of aviation have seen many changes through the years from the two place cubs to the seven place twin-engines, and the electronic equipment used on the airport today.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 226

News & Events