Cooperstown Commercial Club

The April 27, 1888 edition of the Griggs Courier refers to a Board of Trade meeting to be held on May 1, 1888.  "The Board of Trade will in all probability discuss the question of incorporating Cooperstown as a village."  This group was likely the forerunner of the Cooperstown Commercial Club.

On February 15, 1904, the Cooperstown Commercial Club was formally organized.  The bylaws consist of fifteen paragraphs detailing the officers, their duties and dues -$1 membership and $4 annually thereafter.  Paragraph 9 states; "any citizen of Griggs County of good moral character may become a member by signing the bylaws and paying the fee."  A. M. Baldwin was elected the first President.

There was a period of years during the 1920's and 30's that an acting chairman was appointed in advance monthly.

The minutes of April 7, 1932 show 50 members present.  Mention is made of establishing a park board, however no action was taken.  Reference is made on plans for the 50th year celebration.  The American Legion bought the dance privilege for that day for $150.

The Exchange Hotel was a popular meeting place for the club's supper meetings.  Later the Marquardt basement dining room was mentioned as a frequent meeting place.  For many years after that, the club met in the Windsor (formerly Exchange) Hotel.

During the 70's a popular feature of the Commercial Club was the annual chicken barbecue held in conjunction with Cooper Days in July.  The chicken was basted and cooked over outdoor charcoal pits.  The dinner was served to the public in fire hall for a nominal fee.

The Cooperstown Commercial Club continues to function in promoting the Cooperstown community and to serve the citizens of Griggs County.

Carrol Torgerson is the 1982 president, Doug Strand vice president and Charlotte Haaland secretary-treasurer.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 233

News & Events