Eastern Star

On April 14, 1905, the following parties met at the Odd Fellows Hall in Cooperstown, North Dakota, for the purpose of organizing a chapter of the Eastern Star:

Mrs. Sarah Purinton

Miss May Retzlaff

Mrs. Thea Upton

Mrs. Tillie Burseth

Miss Edith Sinclair

Miss Grace Houghton

Mrs. Emma Rose

Miss Sigve Widlund

Mrs. Nellie Marsh

Mrs. Minnie Johnson (admitted on a demit from Prairie Chapter No.  7, Order of The Eastern Star, Sanborn, North Dakota)

Mrs. Anna Thompson (admitted on a demit from Fidelity Chapter No.  1:3 Order of The Eastern Star, Hope, North Dakota)

Mrs. William Glass

Mr. Oscar D. Purinton

Dr. Fred Rose

Mr. W. D. Marsh

Mr. Charles Burseth

Mr. Theo G. Thompson. 

Mr. Thompson being absent was declared elected to be initiated at any regular meeting of the chapter.

Honorable John F. Selby, Worthy Grand Patron of the Grand Chapter Order of the Eastern Star of North Dakota was present with a dispensation.

Northern Light Chapter, U.D. was duly organized.

The working team of the Hope chapter was requested by the Grand Patron to take charge during the opening and initiation ceremonies.

Elected to office in the newly organized chapter were:

Mrs. Minnie Johnson

Mr. Oscar Purinton

Mrs. Anna Thompson

Miss May Retzlaff

Miss Edith Sinclair

Mr. William Glass

Mr. Charles Burseth

Mrs. Tillie Burseth

Miss Grace Houghton

Mrs. Stella Cussons

Miss Sigve Widlund

Mrs. Thea Upton

Mrs. Nellie Marsh

Mr. W. D. Marsh.

The membership in the chapter increased very rapidly during the early days.  Every meeting reported at least one petition, and as many as eight were read at a single meeting.  Many of the Masons entered petitions along with their wives or soon after.

O.D. Purinton of Northern Light Chapter was chosen as Worthy Grand Patron of the Grand Chapter O.E.S. of North Dakota.

The Masonic Temple was built in 1917 and dedicated July 7, 1917, and the Eastern Star conducted money-raising projects to furnish the OES lounge.  Most, if not all, of the original wicker furniture still remains in the building and in good condition at the present time.

The chapter later voted to sponsor a Rainbow Assembly, and continued to do so until 1963.

There were numerous functions such as basket socials, card parties, and dancing parties.  Some were sponsored by the Masons and others by the chapter.

In earlier years great values were available at moderate cost. During these times the purchasing power of the dollar is almost unbelievable to us now.  The following examples are an illustration: In February of 1935, it was voted to hold a dancing party, inviting the Masons.  The charge would be twenty-five cents a couple.  Later that same year the chapter hosted a school of instruction, with a charge of fifty cents for the dinner.

In the late 1940's, the community began planning for a hospital to be constructed in Cooperstown and the chapter and the members became involved in this project.

In 1955 the chapter observed its fiftieth anniversary, and in 1970 its seventy-fifth.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 234

News & Events