Sons of Norway

Ueland Lodge #149 of the Sons of Norway was organized in the fall of 1913.  The first meeting place was the Odd Fellows Hall.  Later the Lodge met in the old opera house located about where the Coachman Motel now stands.

The original lodge disbanded in 1933.

Two members of the old lodge joined the new one when it organized in 1967.  Swen S. Olgaard also served a term as president of the new organization.  Ludvig G. Olson was the last surviving member of the original lodge.  He died in 1981.

Cooperstown Sons of Norway reorganized December 2, 1967, under charter number 480.  Carrol T. Juven of Fargo, Regional Manager of North Dakota for Sons of Norway, Martin Haugen, and Jack Haugen of Valley City were the organizers and 95 charter members were initiated.

The first president was Irvin Haaland.  The first meetings were held at the Knights of Pythias Hall.  Later they moved to the American Legion.  The next presidents were:

Swen Olgaard , for the remainder of 1968

Osborne Galde, 1969

Gordon Ashland, 1970 to 1977

Thilford Walsvik, 1978

Carl Larson, 1979-1980

Robert Evenson, 1981-1982

They rented the Masonic Temple for meetings and social events the winter of 1971 and part of 1972.   Sons of Norway purchased the old Tang recreation building from Mrs. Wally Tang in September of 1972.  They remodeled it inside and outside.

The lodge has sponsored dance bands from Norway and dance groups from Stoughton, Wisconsin.  Fund raising events include lutefisk, kumla and pancake dinners.  Every year close to May 17 (Norwegian Independence Day) the lodge puts on its Syttende Mal Fest.

The lodge has sent children to Norwegian language camp at Bemidji, Minnesota.  Regular meetings are on the second Monday of every month.  There are also social events every month.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 241

News & Events