The American Legion Auxiliary

Gordon Lindgren Post #143

The Auxiliary to Gordon Lindgren American Legion Post #143 was organized October 21, 1943 at the Windsor Hotel in Cooperstown.  Charter members were:

Effie Anderson

Myrtle Ashland

Marie Dahlbom

Elma Edland

Nora Frigaard

Mary Irgens

Lise Johnson

Claire Johnston

Gudrie Lee

Rose Loder

Vivian Morrissey

Ann Nelson

Eva Olson

Hanna Perchert

Greta Sorvik

Nellie Sorvik

Geraldine Stringer

Genevieve Thompson

Clara Thorn

Berniece Turnquist.

 

Officers installed by District President Mrs. Morris Hanson from Mayville were:

 

President  Lise Johnson
Vice President  Nora Frigaard
Secretary  Berniece Turnquist
Sergeant-at-arms  Myrtle Ashland
Chaplain  Claire Johnston
Historian  Nellie Sorvik.

  

The families of:

 

William Schmidt  Sutton
Paul Overby  Binford
Ed Ressler  Jessie
Claude Fallen  Sutton

had lost sons in the war and were remembered with cards. 

Later, Mrs. Ed Pousette, Mrs. William.  Chamley and Mrs. Taletta Johnson were adopted as Gold Star mothers.  Through the years, the Auxiliary has sponsored health clinics, Girl Scout groups, style shows, blood donor clinics, and sent a child to Camp Grassick.  A record kit was bought and placed in a hospital aboard ship in 1945.  During the war, Christmas parties for service men's children became routine.

To encourage the study of history, a $5.00 award was granted and won by Eugenia Hagen (Duna Frigaard.)

Community improvement was stressed.  Donations given included $25.00 to the new library, $200.00 to the new hospital, $100.00 towards the Boy Scouts building, $60.00 more for the hospital raised by selling magazines, $14.00 to the Brownie group, placed books in the new library, and made arrangements for the first tennis court.

The Auxiliary helped the Legion furnish its Club Rooms.  A stove was bought in 1951, dishes were furnished in 1958 and presented at the annual birthday party, and a flag was bought for the Clubroom.

Flag codes were sent to all the schools in the county in 1948, toys were collected for Europe, warm clothing was collected for Save the Children Federation, and a white elephant sale was conducted to raise money for the All Faiths Chapel at Grafton.

During the war years, local service men were remembered with cards.  It is noted that 33 were remembered in 1952 and 38 in 1967.

The Auxiliary was active in promoting the sale of war bonds and received a citation in 1951.  Since 1947, 93 girls have been sent to Girls State to participate in the American Legion Auxiliary's Americanism program.  Lise Johnson served on the State Girls State Board from 1954 through 1978 and was installed as President of District I in 1961.

A local veteran was adopted and was remembered every week with food and visits until he moved to the local nursing home.  Besides caring for veterans, assisting as needed at the hospital, serving lunches at Girls Scout fairs, giving groceries to needy families and needy children, the Auxiliary has stood ready at all times to promote the programs of the American Legion both financially and in deed.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 231

News & Events