V.F.W. Post No. 3379

V.F.W. POST NO. 3379

Back in 1935 a group of 16 overseas veterans organized a chapter of the National Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States.

At the time it was chartered it went by the name of Griggs County Post 3379.  Years later after the death of Alex Armstrong the post name was changed to William A. Armstrong Post in honor of that faithful member.

The first commander was Lester J. Christianson, and the membership grew until after World War II it had reached over 100 members.

The building it had purchased became too small so it was sold, and meetings and other activities are being held at the American Legion post's clubrooms.

The main aim of the V.F.W. is to help needy veterans, their wives and children.  The National Home at Eaton Rapids, Michigan is maintained by the V.F.W. to provide a home for the veteran's widows and children, also the home community.

They sell Buddy Poppies to help the disabled veterans.  They also recently donated a microscope to the hospital, also television sets.  They donated to the ambulance.  They also have sponsored the girl’s softball team, Voice of Democracy contests and sent boys to Camp Grafton.

Present officers are:

  • Commander Richard Spilovoy
  • Vice-Commander Sanford Brekke
  • Quartermaster Dallas Larson
  • Adjutant Les Nierenberg
  • Chaplain Rev. Evan Clarke
  • Service Officer Larry Hinschherger

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 242

News & Events