Post War Construction

The first major post-war public building project after World War 11 was the $250,000 Griggs County Hospital; completed and first put to use in 1951.  For thirty years the building boom continued.  There followed a number of public buildings including a new high school, grade school addition, city hall, nursing home, airport development in several stages, new churches, apartment buildings, and several new business buildings.  Much of the new business construction was on the outskirts of town, creating the need for new and expanded city services.

A substantial number of new homes were built in the post-war boom, and there were also such additions as the Community Building, the American Legion hall, the Scout cabin, Griggs County museum building and new construction at the fairgrounds.  An addition to the courthouse was built.

Other civic improvement projects have been swimming pools (Cooperstown is on its second pool), new streets, curbs and gutters, new street lighting, addition and extension of the water and sewer to serve nearly every house in Cooperstown, development of an enlarged water supply and storage, and building of a sewer lagoon.

In 1981 the city began to develop plan for a new water treatment plant.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial page 35

News & Events