Al's Barber Shop

Soon after Cooperstown was platted, block 73, lot 8 was bought from R.C. Cooper by Emanual Kiser in 1883.  In 1884 Charles Jorgensen bought the lot and built a land office. John Jorgenson, a clerk of district court, purchased the building in the same year.  In 1886 George Clark owned the building.  The first barbershop was put in the building in 1896 and for most of that time since the building has been a barbershop.  Silas Black barbered in the shop from 1896-1915.  Paul Paulson purchased the shop in 1915 and was in it until 1923.  Art Reierson owned the shop from 1924-1930.  Paulson and Reierson were also barbers.

In 1930 Alma Lindgren and Mathilda Lindgren opened a millinery shop in the building after their store was destroyed by fire in 1929.  In 1935 William J. Nelson reopened a barbershop.  Bill purchased the shop in 1940 and owned it until 1966 when Dennis Olafson bought the shop and barbered until 1970.  Allen Douville then purchased the shop in 1970 and has been the barber until the present date.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 207

News & Events