Cooperstown Municipal Association

North Dakota had been a dry state for many years.  The sale of liquor was authorized by an initiated measure adopted at the general election in November of 1936.  As soon as that act became effective, the City of Cooperstown established a municipal liquor store and operated the off-sale establishment.  The Cooperstown Municipal Association was incorporated April 17, 1946.  The incorporators or first board of directors and officers were: S.F. Gorseth, Edwin Reiten, M. Mosher, and M.W. Duffy as members.  According to the Articles of Incorporation, the purpose for which the association was formed is to support the local hospital and other public organizations.  The first manager hired was M.N. Johnson.  In 1949 the present building was purchased and on-sale was added to the store operation.

The manager's responsibilities have been shared by E. Zutter (two different periods), Russell Bergen, George Perchert, and Bob Bunde.  The present manager is Gordon Knutson.  Since June of 1971, Edgar Multer, LPA, has served the association as their accountant.

Since the association was formed, a total of $397,000.00 has been donated to local groups as follows: Griggs County Hospital and Nursing Home, $180,944.00

City of Cooperstown, $97,934.00

Cooperstown Park Board, $54,200.00

Griggs County Library, $21,050.00

American Legion Junior Baseball Program, $10,775.00

Cooperstown Municipal Golf Course, $9,700.00

Griggs County Fair Board and Community Building, $9,400.00

Other community projects, $12,997.00

Direct monetary contributions are not the only way the association has helped the community.  One of the investments in the community was made by purchasing and having a clinic building available for the incoming medical doctor.

The association has been a good neighbor in the Cooperstown community in sharing the tax burden at all levels of government, local, state, and federal.  The greatest share of the taxes paid has been to the City of Cooperstown.

The present building was constructed in 1930 and was used as a restaurant before the liquor store moved into it.  The first restaurant in the building was Marquardts.

The 1982 officers are:

Carrol Torgerson, president

Robert Allen, vice president

Clarence Sandvik, secretary-treasurer.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 210

News & Events