Cooperstown Oil Company

Cooperstown Oil Company is owned and operated by Lyle Guscette.  The bulk and filling station was bought by Mr. and Mrs. S.L. Lemna from Mr. Johnson in 1934 or 1935.  The filling station was known as Phillip's 66.

The old tin building has been moved to Ed's Body Shop.

The long building was bought from Lonnie Rhodes.  This building was originally owned by Leland and Alonzo Rhodes in the 1920's and 1930's.  Peterson Biddick was in the east end of this building.  Bruce Wright had a welding shop and general repair shop in the middle of the building.

The west side of the building was a fix-it shop run by Lonnie Rhodes, father of Maxine Rhodes Torgerson.  Lonnie Rhodes also built snowmobiles called Snow-Sleds.  These sleds had long heavy runners, wood and metal frames covered with muslin fabric and a lacquered finish, and airplane engine propellers in the back.

Lonnie Rhodes also operated a crude oil refinery for several years.  He recycled oil of good quality.

Lemnas sold the filling station to Orris Reinhart in the fall of 1970.  Orris added a car wash.

The bulk station, which is now located north of Farmers 011, was bought by Lyle Pfeifer in 1969.  It was sold to Lyle Guscette in the fall of 1973.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 211

News & Events