Griggs County ASCS Office

ASCS was born on May 12, 1933, when President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed into law the original Agricultural Adjustment Act (AAA).  The Triple A Act of 1933 was invalidated in January of 1936, followed by The Soil Conservation and Domestic Allotment Act of 1936.  This act authorized acreage controls and payments for certain soil conserving practices.

The Griggs County office was originally located in the courthouse.  Gilbert Mourn, the County Agent, was the secretary.  In the early 1940's Henry Herigstad was named manager and worked in that capacity until his retirement in 1962.  Norma Nelson was hired as a clerk in 1934 and worked until her retirement in 1967.

Area farmers who have served as county committeemen include: Harry Kolpin, Albert Johnson, Thomas Boe, Oscar Idsvoog, Alfred Holland, Clarence Steffen, James F. Hazard, Herbert Sonju, C.A. Brown and Allen Hoverson.  The present committee members are Wallace Ethen, Rueben Weber and Lester Erickson.

The present staff is Jerry Ronningen, manager, Mercedes Tang, Ernestine Paulsen, and Delores Olafson as Program Assistants and Ronald Edland as field-man.

The office moved to its present location at the corner of Fifth and Rollin, west of Farmers Oil Company, in 1968.  Prior to that the ASCS was located in what is now the Griggs County Library from 1955 to 1968.  Other locations have been the Fladeland building, the Propane Gas building and the Griggs County Court House.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 215

News & Events