Grumpy's

The original drive-in building was built in 1951 on the north side of Rollin Avenue between 11th and 12th Streets by Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hanson from Binford.  At that time Highway 7 went through town on Rollin Avenue.

In September of 1954, the business was sold to A.W. Wright and was called the Dairy Dreem.  In 1955 the menu was expanded to include chicken and shrimp, besides the soft ice milk and hamburgers.

Gary Bryngelson bought the business June 1, 1958, and he and his wife, Shirley, ran it for eighteen years.

In the summer of 1976, Ron Hensler bought the business.  The name was changed to Grumpy's, and extensive remodeling and expansion now make indoor seating possible.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 217

News & Events