Hi-Way Beauty Shop

The first beauty shop I recall was located upstairs in the Gamble store with Hazelle Otteson owner.  It was later moved to a building just east of the Windsor Hotel.  She had an apartment at the back of the shop.  Mae (Flaagen) Sanderson was employed at that time which was about 1937.  I came in 1939 and that year the shop was moved to the basement of what is now Patricia's shop.  During this time Mae had bought the shop and she also owned the shop in back of Bill's Barber Shop.  She sold out about 1943 or 4 leaving for Oregon.

I had left the shop in 1941, returned and opened the Hi-Way Beauty Shop in 1947 in my residence where it still is in business.

It was a one-operator shop about fifteen years.  In 1962 I enlarged it to a three-operator shop for several years.  After Jean Sanderson Savre came to work, she bought the business about 1976, but I am still putting in my time; together we are six operators, several of us part-time.

From 1935-1936 when I was in beauty school, a variety of hair dressing has been done from marcelling, round curling done by iron, spiral permanents given by a machine using electrically heated clamps, then to croqanell perm using only heat activated pads which were more comfortable because of lighter weight and freedom to move about during curling.  Then followed pin-curl sets and French braiding and pro curling done by small rollers, fastening each with bobby pins.  Later came cold-waving perms, magnetic and brush rollers, used to this time.  We also went back to curling irons, but the latest is blow dryers used in combing and brushing set in place.

Remembering my aunt speaking of her first permanent wave which she had to drive from Hatton to Grand Forks to have, cost her $25.00 and it took all day.  My first at sixteen cost $6.50.

Prices in 1936 while I was employed at Mayville, North Dakota were as follows:

Permanents $2.50 to $5.00
Shampoo and sets .60
Marcelling and finger wave .35
Manicures .35
Facials .75 and $1.00

My salary was $8.00 a week, six-day week, fifteen-hour day in the busy season, plus my room and breakfast. We carried all water used in the Mayville shop from the basement cistern and heated it on a kerosene stove.

Rudha Sanderson

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 217

News & Events