Bakery and Confectionary

The first mention of a bakery was in December of 1886.  "Mrs. Lloyd has opened her restaurant and bakery on Burrell and is now prepared to supply our citizens with bread, cakes and pies.  She can accommodate a number of table boarders at reasonable rates."

Other early bakery and confectionery stores from 1887 to 1900 were operated by Mrs. M.M. Robinson, Mrs. Al Thomas, Mr. and Mrs. D.L. Colson, Mrs. Hiram Maurer, F.A. Mayer, A. Skeock, D.B. McDonald, Mai-tin Knapp, N.A. Ness and the Simonson Brothers.  1901-1907: Sells Bengson, Mrs. S.L. Hodgeman, Lewis Brothers and the Graff Brothers.

One of the more prominent bakers remembered was Duncan B. McDonald.  McDonald started as a baker in 1898, when he was employed by F.A. Mayer and N.E. Ness.  By 1901 he was running his own bakery and lunch counter.  In August of 1903 he purchased the old Iverson property (59-16) then occupied by the Lewis Brothers confectionery.  Later that year he moved to that building across the street.  He ran his bakery in that location until about 1914.  (The building still stands, the vacant laundromat east of the F & M Bank parking lot.)

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 182

News & Events