Carriage Shops

Joseph Hoggarth established the first Carriage and Wagon Shop in his barn in February of 1883, located on Park Boulevard near his residence.  He built a new carriage shop on the corner of Roberts and Ninth, Block 60, in 1886.  A painter by the name of M. E. Walks had a shop upstairs in 1887 where he did carriage and sign painting.

Phil Reimer first located his Carriage Shop in the former Hoggarth building in 1896.  Within a year Reimer bought the old Courier office belonging to A. B. Stewart and moved it to lots at the rear of Sansburns Blacksmith Shop.  In 1899, he purchased lots east of Sansburns shop and moved a building onto the site.  He operated that shop until 1903.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 185

News & Events