Cooperstown Roller Mill

The Cooperstown Roller Mill was built in 1897 by W.H. Phipps of Minnesota.  He operated the mill until 1902 when John C. Cussons of Stewardville, Minnesota closed out the deal whereby the Cussons Milling Company became owners of the firm.  Mr. Phipps retired.

Marsar Cussons took over the mill in October of 1902.  At that time the mill was operated by steam.  Flour was taken by the exchange system, 100 pounds of flour for three bushels of wheat.  The name of the flour was "New Style".

In 1922 Cussons discontinued the milling business and started a seed and feed plant.  Both Mr. Cussons' sons, Barton and James joined him in business.  Barton was with the business from 1932 to 1965.  The Cussons Seed house was sold to Melvin Larson in April of 1965.  The building was torn down in 1978.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 187

News & Events