First Bank of Cooperstown

In September of 1891, The First Bank of Cooperstown purchased the building and lot formerly owned by Clark and Smart, Block 73, Lot 8.  Here they operated with Mr. Buck as cashier for about five years.  In February of 1896 Cashier Buck purchased the lots belonging to Knut Thompson on the corner facing Burrell Avenue and Church (Ninth) Street.  A brick bank 25' x 60', two stories high was constructed by the proprietors of the First Bank of Cooperstown.  It opened for business in August of 1896.

It was built of solid brick, doors and windows having brown stone trimmings.  Customers entered the vestibule, turned left and entered the spacious banking office, with hardwood fixtures and furniture.

A large office was occupied by Mr. Cooper to the rear end of the building with a front facing Church Street.

The First Bank commenced business as a National Bank July 2, 1900.  The "First National Bank" was sold to C.J. Weiser of Iowa and Robert Jones of Chicago in June of 1901.  The bank continued as a National Bank with H.A. Langlie as cashier.

Over the years, the upstairs was occupied by various families as living quarters and housed the Griggs County Telephone office from about 1926 until dial service was installed in 1942.  The old Bank building was taken down in 1965 and replaced by the new First State Bank.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 183

News & Events