Larson's Cream Station

After Emil Larson lost the farm in Steele County, he moved to Hope, North Dakota where he operated an Armour cream station.  From there he moved to Cooperstown in 1934 where he operated an Armour cream station until he retired at 82 years of age.  He died in 1952 at the age of 88 years.

The building in which he had the cream station was across the alley south of the Syverson building.  That building was the original Thompson-Odegaard store, first one in town.  Originally it faced north and stood on Lot 7, Block 73, on Burrell Avenue, but it was moved back when John Syverson built his brick store.  At one time it was used as a warehouse for the Syverson store.  This building has been torn down and a new building owned by Cooper Motors now stands there.

Larson would buy cream and eggs from farmers.  Every so often a truck from Armour would pick up the cream, which was in ten gallon cream cans, and egg crates.  During this time the stores in Cooperstown were open Saturday nights, and most Saturday nights he would be open until 1:00 a.m.

The cream would be tested for the butterfat content and the farmers would get paid according to the butterfat in their cream.  This would vary, as all the cream brought in did not have the same butterfat content.

All the eggs would have to be candled to see that they were all fresh.  This would take considerable time.  Mrs. Larson would work in the station Saturday nights to help candle eggs.

This station closed in April of 1946.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 192

News & Events