Lenham Lumber Company

The Lenham Lumber and Coal Yards were built in 1883 by the corporation of George, Nate and Louis L. Lenham.  The yards were located just due north of the Lenham Elevator.

The yard included a lumber shed, office, lime and coal sheds at a cost of $1,500.  The manager was Maynard Crane, a nephew of George Lenham.

In March of 1885, Crane bought the yards.  The firm was thereafter known as Maynard Crane and Company.  Within a month, Crane had decided to build his own yard and sold the property to the Gull River Lumber Company.  E.W. Blackwell became manager.

The Gull River Lumber Company was owned and operated by the Blackwell Brothers until 1919 when it was bought out by the Salzer Lumber Company with H.L. Tasser as manager.  The Salzer Lumber Company property in Cooperstown was purchased by Crane Johnson in the thirties and the buildings were sold, moved and remodeled as residences.

The Crane Johnson history is the subject of another article.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 194

News & Events