Union House

Henry H. Retzlaff s hotel, built in 1883, was described as a snug hostelry, a 24' x 40' two-story building, large enough to accommodate about forty people.  It contained a billiards and bar room until prohibition in Griggs County began in 1886.  The Union House was conveniently located on Burrell (59-13).  The rates were $1.25 per day.

Reier Anderson ran the hotel in 1891.  In 1892 Retzlaff sold the hotel to Leonard Flick.  It was managed by Sam Clark in 1896 and H.J. Maurer in 1897.  F.A. Mayer opened a furniture store in the building in 1898.  About 1900 W.C. Jimeson and Arnt Olson had their general store there until 1905 when their new building was finished.  The building later housed a variety store by Edward Guttormson.  The Farmers and Merchants Bank was built on that same site in 1918.

 

 

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial Page 206

News & Events