Edward Zimprich

Edward Zimprich of Michelsdorf, Bohemia came to the United States to the Waterville, Minnesota area in 1878 at the age of 19.  He came to North Dakota in 1881 with Frank Ressler and Joe Dusbabek.  He worked on the Cooper Ranch as a farm laborer for about one year.

Edward preempted in Tyrol Township NW of Section 8-147-59 May 6, 1882.  He proved his preemption December 8, 1884.  The same year he homesteaded another 80 acres in the same Section.

His sister Mary (later to be Mrs. Herman Hovel) kept house for him until his marriage in 1886 to Jennie Westley at Waterville, Minnesota.  They returned to the North Dakota Territory in the spring of 1886.

Edward first built a small house of log with a sod roof on a hill just north of the present buildings.  When he homesteaded the next eighty acres, he was required to live there.  It was impossible to move the house from the hill so he built a house, 12 x 12, with a loft and small lean-to.

Eight children were born in this small house.  (They recall sleeping six in a bed crosswise.) The children attended the Zimprich School, which sat west across the road from their home.  In 1904 they transferred to Jessie

Prayer services were also held in this little school led by a Joseph Fiebiger, the grandfather of Hugo and Joe Fiebiger.

In 1903 the present house was built.  Two more children were born to the family making a total of ten.

Edward and his neighbors hauled wheat to a mill on the Goose River and had it ground to flour.  When this was done, it was a two-day trip.  Once a year these same neighbors would make a four-day trip with horses to Sanborn, North Dakota to buy supplies for the winter.

Edward Zimprich died in May of 1926.  His wife Jennie remained on the farm with her son, Laurence, who later married Louise Gruman.  They bought the farm from Jennie in 1940.  One daughter was born to Laurence and Louise, Cecilia.  Jennie died in September of 1948.  Later that fall, Laurence was killed in a car accident.  Louise remained on the farm.  A few years later her daughter Cecilia married Edward Schaak.  They had one daughter, Lisa.  Cecilia was killed in a farm accident.  Louise, her son-in-law, and granddaughter Lisa still live on the farm.  The house built in 1903 is still their home.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial page 96

News & Events