Helge B. Larson

Helge B. Larson arrived in the United States and settled in Minnesota in the early 1870's.  He applied for citizenship on May 20, 1872, in Fillmore County, Minnesota.  Sometime later, he decided to sell out and move farther west in Minnesota.

A few days before he was to leave, he went to the bank to withdraw his money.  On his way home from the bank, he came to a slough with tall grass.  As he walked through the slough, he heard a noise behind him.  Before he had reached the slough, he had picked up a rock.  He turned and noticed a man behind him, but he did not recognize who it was.  Since he was carrying a considerable amount of money, he threw the rock at what he thought was a robber.  He did not stop to see who the man was and headed for his home as quickly as he could.  The next time that he went to town, he noticed that the banker had a bandage on his head.

While Helge lived in western Minnesota, a team of horses was stolen from him.  He informed the sheriff of the theft.  Shortly thereafter, one of Helge's neighbors noticed a man watering a team of horses in the river.  Suddenly, the horses got away from the man as they waded further into the water.  It turned out that they ran to a nearby farm.  Helge was told to come and identify the team.  As he neared the horses, he began talking to them; and they recognized his voice.  This convinced the sheriff that they belonged to Helge.

In the spring of 1881, Helge and his family left Granite Falls, Minnesota, moved on into North Dakota, and settled on Section 23-145-58 in Sverdrup Township.  He had chosen this place in 1880 on a previous trip to North Dakota.  Since this land was railroad land, he had to buy it.  His homestead was located on Section 26 in Bald Hill Township.

Helge built a two-story log cabin on Section 23 in 1881, and he filed for ownership of this land on April 17, 1882.  The log cabin was located one-half mile east of Chalmer's Hill along the Sheyenne River.  A barn was built about 1890, and a house was built in 1904 on the same location.  Both of these buildings are still standing, but the log house was destroyed many years ago.

Helge's son, Henry J., took over the farm in 1916 after his death.  Henry J. passed away in 1966; and his son, Lester, became the owner.  At the present time, Lester resides on his grandparents' farm, and he is continuing to operate the farm.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial page 88

News & Events