Ole Olson Bjornstad

Located north of Horse Hill and one mile east of Ringsaker Church in Romness Township is the Clara S. Olson farm.  This 160-acre farm was settled on by Ole Olson Bjornstad in 1880 when he and his family came to the Romness area from Decorah, Iowa.  His homestead deed to the land was signed in 1892 by President Benjamin Harrison.

After Mr. Bjornstad's death in 1895, the land went to one of his sons, Gilbert Olson, and he owned it until his death in 1942.

One of Gilbert's sons, Albert E. Olson, married Clara S. Hanson in Bowman, North Dakota, in 1910.  In 1914 they moved to the Bjornstad homestead quarter, and they lived in the granary while the present house was being built.

Albert died in July of 1948.  His widow, Clara S. Olson, lives with her son, Garfield S. Olson, in Grass Valley, California.  Every summer they take a trip back to her farm.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial page 71

News & Events