Per Kindso

Per and Ellen Person Kindso came to Sacred Heart, Minnesota from Sweden in 1880.  After living there for two years they traveled with another couple to North Dakota in a covered wagon drawn by oxen plus two colts and chickens on June 24, 1882 where they took a homestead on Section 24 in Washburn Township, Griggs County.

Their first house was a one room log and sod cabin combination in the hillside.  Later when lumber came in they built a two-room house and then again in 1905 a large more modern house which still stands.  The barn, on the farm yet, was built in the spring of 1900.

Their only fuel was wood.  They would chop great piles, which were hauled from the Sheyenne River to their home every fall.

At first Portland was the nearest town where they could get supplies so every once in awhile all the settlers would go together to town.  They went in wagons drawn by oxen.

Mr. and Mrs. Kindso were the parents of five children Martin, born in Sweden, Hilda in Sacred Heart, Minnesota, Minnie, Oscar, and Effie who were born on the homestead farm.  Martin died when he was 27 years old and Mrs. Ernest (Minnie) Nelson at the age of 29 years.  Oscar died in infancy.  Hilda married Albert Anderson and they farmed in Steele County.

After so many years, Mr. and Mrs. Kindso and daughter Effie went to Sweden in May of 1911 staying till August to visit relatives.

Mr. Kindso died February of 1920, and was buried with two sons and a daughter in the cemetery of Hofva Lutheran Church.  They were among the founders of the Swedish Hofva Lutheran Church, which is still in existence.

Mr. John H. Anderson started farming in 1921 after Mr. Kindso's death and continued to improve the homestead with more buildings and a shelterbelt.  Mrs. Kindso continued to live with her youngest daughter Effie, who had married John H. Anderson in 1922.  He had come from Sweden in 1912.  Mrs. Kindso died in 1938.

The Kindso homestead is still owned by his daughter Mrs. John (Effie) Anderson and is presently farmed by her son, Clifford.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial page 83

News & Events