Soldier's Scrip or Bounty Land

The book committee has in its possession two documents that were assigned to Charley L. Cooper in 1888, each one for 80 acres, on Section 26, which was the original Cooper Ranch location.

One document was for an Act of Congress approved February 11, 1847 entitled, "An act to raise for a limited time an additional military force, and for other purposes.€  In this document the United States deposited in the General Land Office a warrant in favor of John Weedon, late a private in Captain McCreery's Company, 4th Regiment.  Kentucky Volunteers.  This parcel of land, assigned to Charley L. Cooper, was for the W ½ of SE 1/4 of Section 26-146-59, containing 80 acres, dated November 17, 1888.

The other document was in pursuance of the Act of Congress, approved March 3, 1855, entitled "An act in addition to certain acts granting Bounty Land to certain officers and Soldiers who had been engaged in the military service of the United States.€  This warrant document was in favor of Leandre Duere, private, Captain Baham's Company, Louisiana Militia, War of 1812.  It was assigned to Charley L Cooper, Dec.  27, 1888, and was for the S ½ of SW ¼ of Section 26-146-59.

The Cooper family bought railroad land, secured some soldier's scrip for some land, took pre-emptions, homesteads, and tree claims for themselves and others.  Charley L. Cooper had been granted "Power of Attorney" to locate additional homesteads.

Source: Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial page 41

News & Events