Mose

Town of Mose, in Byron Township was founded in 1903 as "Lewis." The townsite was owned by Oscar Greenland; surveyed and platted in 1903.

The plat was filed September 15, 1903 by Oscar Greenland. The post office was established October 31, 1903 with Knud K. Alfstad as postmaster.

The plat for the town was filed as "Lewis," also called "Lewis Siding." At that time it was named after E. W. Lewis, civil engineer in charge of construction of the extension of the railroad from Cooperstown to McHenry.

"As there was another town named "Lewis" on the Northern Pacific railroad the name "Florence" was selected, but that too had a duplicate. Finally some one jokingly suggested, "Why not call it "Mose." So "Mose" the local nickname of Morris Greenland, was chosen in 1904.

Morris Greenland was employed by the Gull River Lumber Company at Mose. He was born in 1880 and died in 1913.

There were a few business places, elevators, etc. for a few years, but by 1956 none remained. The elevators were moved and even the depot was replaced by a smaller building.

Source:  Cooperstown Diamond Jubilee 1882-1957 Page 57

News & Events