Sutton

The town of Sutton - not incorporated - is in Mabel Township. It was settled in 1910; platted June 29, 1910 by Revere-Sutton Realty Company. The Sutton Post Office was established January b, 1913 with Proeter W. Rice as postmaster.

The town of Sutton was named in 1910 for John E. Sutton, a farmer who lived four miles northwest of Sutton.

As the Great Northern Railroad surveyors were unable to obtain boarding accommodations at the present site of Sutton, John E. Sutton consented to board them at his homestead, northwest of Sutton. In appreciation for hospitality Sutton was named for him.

The Great Northern railroad track reached Sutton on May 22, 1912.

Laying rails near Sutton in 1912.

Source:  Cooperstown Diamond Jubilee 1882-1957 Page 57

News & Events