4-H Club No. 9

The first 4-H Club for girls was organized in the Karnak community on April 14, 1934. Miss Sylvia Kerber and Mrs. G. E. Brown were the first leaders and the club was called the Peppy Peppers Clothing Club. The club had an enrollment of nine members. In 1954 a group of girls in Cooperstown became interested in 4-H work and Club No. 9 was organized in September of that year with nine girls joining: Joyce Nelson, Nichol Vance, Diane Cussons, Linda Pratt, LeAnn Fink, Mary Helm, Marlow Jensen, Mary Jo Langford and Judy Soma. The leaders we're Mrs. Ben Fink and Mrs. Maynard Langford.

At the beginning of the third year one new member has been added: Lynne Fredrickson. Sewing is the new project, and the girls are making scissor cases and needle cases. The project this year is for each girl to sew two aprons to be judged.

Source:  Cooperstown Diamond Jubilee 1882-1957 Page 39

News & Events