C. P. Dahl

C. P. Dahl, the second man from Cooperstown to hold the office of lieutenant governor of North Dakota, is the only man in the state who has held that office for more than two terms. David Bartlett was lieutenant governor in 1913.

Dahl, a native of Jacksonville County, Wisconsin, came to Griggs County in February, 1812 and became actively engaged in farming. He was educated in the public schools in Wisconsin and also attended business school at Winona, Minnesota. He is an auctioneer and at one time operated a general store at Jessie and also an elevator at that Griggs County point. He married Ovedia Anderson in 1922. Their family consists of three children, Philip, Margery and Robert.

After serving several terms as clerk of the school district of Addle he was elected to the North Dakota Senate in 1939 where he served two terms. He was then elected lieutenant governor serving two terms and he was again elected to the North Dakota Senate. He served as senator from Griggs County until 1951 when he resigned to accept the office of lieutenant governor which he held until 1956.

He was prominently mentioned as candidate for governor in 1956 but due to the capriciousness of North Dakota politics he failed to receive the nomination.

True to the party, he nevertheless supported the candidate, now Governor John Davis. As a reward for his loyalty and long service to the state it is hoped that he may be given the opportunity to try for North Dakota's highest office.

C. P., as he is familiarly known to his friends, has been active in many, community enterprises and served as first chairman for the hospital organization board. This was merely a skeleton organization to get the hospital underway. An appointment as auditor for an elevator company made it necessary for him to resign before the hospital drive actually got started.

He has always been active in civic development and has been particularly interested and active in promoting the International Peace Gardens between the United States and Canada.

Source:  Cooperstown Diamond Jubilee 1882-1957 Page 41

News & Events