Mr. and Mrs. John Knapp

John Knapp was born in Vestre Toten, Norway on September 8, 1879.  He immigrated to the United States and came to Binford, North Dakota, in 1900, where he was employed in the Knapp and Buchheit store.  He bought an interest in the store following his brother's (Martin) death in 1902.

Agnes (Pritz) Knapp was born in Trondhjem, Norway and came to Binford in the early 1900's.  She was employed in the local post office, which was then located in the Ole Gunderson store (later known as Ringlee and Sons).  Agnes and John were married in 1909, returning to Norway to take their vows in the Trondhjem Dom-Kirke.  On their return to Binford John continued in the operation of the store until it was destroyed by fire in December 1922.  He then moved into the store building now owned by Orville Stalvik.  Mr. Knapp continued in the grocery business until he sold to Robert Amundson in 1942.

During his years in Binford Mr. Knapp served as postmaster, and was also a member of both the school and town boards.  He and his wife were active in the offices of their church, The Trinity Lutheran.

The Knapps moved to California in the summer of 1958, and in April of 1960, Mrs. Knapp died in a hospital at Thermopolis, Wyoming.  Mr. Knapp passed away in February 1965, at the home of his son, Erling.

Of the Knapps' three children: 

1.     Cleo lives in Lamont, California,

2.     Erling in Richmond, Virginia, and

3.     Richard, who was in the Air Force during World War II, died in a plane crash in India in 1945.

Source Page: Griggs County History 1879 - 1976 Page 25

 
News & Events