American Legion Auxiliary

The American Legion Auxiliary, the Mervin J. Armstrong Unit #113, was organized on January 19, 1926, the first meeting being held at the First National Bank Building.  The following were charter members: 

Mrs. J. B. Armstrong, Miss Thelma Armstrong, Miss Carroll E. Cole, Mrs. Charles Cole, Mrs. W. A. Eiden, Mrs. Peter Falstad, Mrs. H. H. Hagen, Mrs. O. H. Hoffman, Mrs. F. B. Kimbell, Mrs. Soren Krag, Miss Mary Armstrong, Mrs. Sverre Rice, Mrs. Frank Schnur, Mrs. Andrew Wahl, Miss Thelma Richardson, Mrs. Amanda Larson, Mrs. B. M. Lunde, Mrs. Charles Michaelson, Mrs. O. A. Otteson, Mrs. David Palm, Mrs. Lizzie Richardson, Mrs. C. F. Wait, Miss Ellen Johnson, Mrs. O. T. Harris, Miss Erma Armstrong, Mrs. Carl Heyerdahl, Mrs. Charles Christopherson, Miss Christine Johnson, Mrs. Frank Carmon.

The following officers were elected at this first meeting: 

President:  Mrs. Soren Krag

Vice President:  Mrs. O. H. Hoffman

Secretary:  Mrs. C. F. Wait

Treasurer:  Mrs. H. H. Hagen.

Throughout the years, the American Legion Auxiliary has assisted the Legion whenever possible.  Annual bazaars have been held to raise money for the various projects sponsored by the auxiliary.  Two of the main projects, are child welfare and Girls' State.  Besides an assigned child, who at present is a son of a North Dakota soldier killed in Vietnam, two Grafton children are sponsored along with any others needing assistance.

The auxiliary meets regularly at the Legion Hall, and at present, there are approximately 100 members, which includes Junior members.

Source: Griggs County History 1879 - 1976 page 120.

News & Events